- Unsalted butter, softened, or vegetable oil cooking spray, for tin
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup safflower oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter a 12-cup mini-muffin tin or coat with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, and oil. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until combined. If you want to add cheese, you can mix about a 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup of cheese into the batter.
- Fill cups of muffin tin three-quarters full with 1 batch of batter. Sprinkle some cheese on top if you want!
- Bake until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool for 5 minutes. Turn out muffins from tin. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm or at room temperature. Muffins can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.